Boxes and Batteries

On a bus in a deep Asian jungle,
Full of rain and wet,
I thought of a time when I
Held my memories in my hand,
Squeezing them and squeezing them…
So alive.

I thought of a box with a lid
Cracked open, a gap where we see
Time walked in parks, hands held in
The fading light of a distant day. Hollow
Trees on campus greens, places where
Gold was hidden. Moments so
Fragile, like plates thrown into
The air, suspended.

People I wave at, smiling.
I knew them once.

Yes – a kiss hurled by the hand,
Like a football toss in a game. Looks
Before lights dim, glimpses and
Memories trapped, sealed in a box I
Hold under my arms on days when views
From cars mingle with my mind, and
I’m taken from jungles to dry moments when
People waved, and I waved back.

23 thoughts on “Boxes and Batteries

1. C.C. July 28, 2015 / 7:58 pm

This: “Hollow
    Trees on campus greens, places where
    Gold was hidden. Moments so
    Fragile, like plates thrown into
    The air, suspended.”

Wow. I love the emotion in that. It makes me catch my breath in awe. There are places like that, places that take our breath away, places that make us gasp with the knowledge that we are experiencing a fragile moment that is so precious we will treasure it forever. You captured this perfectly. Thanks for linking up 🙂

2. Glenn Buttkus July 28, 2015 / 9:31 pm

Sweet & sour, exotic, earthy, reflective, wonderful tussle of imagery, & journey back to the secrets in the box ( I see a soft red velvet box; easy to carry with you, pocket size ). I liked the lines:
    /moments so/fragile, like plates thrown into/the air suspended/.

3. Grace July 28, 2015 / 9:48 pm

I like the memories and journey to the past ~ These lines struck me the most:

Time walked in parks, hands held in
    The fading light of a distant day. Hollow
    Trees on campus greens, places where
    Gold was hidden. Moments so
    Fragile, like plates thrown into
    The air, suspended.

i wonder what deep Asian jungle you have been?

• The Literary Doc July 29, 2015 / 7:31 pm

I’m really glad you enjoyed this poem. I enjoyed writing it.

The jungle is actually in Thailand.

4. Victoria C. Slotto July 28, 2015 / 10:07 pm

Matthew, so enjoyed reading this, looking into the metaphorical box to enjoy whimsical memories…kisses like a football pass. Nicely expressed.

5. Candy July 28, 2015 / 10:49 pm

Oh, wow! So poingnant – fragile like plates thrown into the air.

6. Asia July 29, 2015 / 12:49 am

Nostalgia is the Pandora’s box that I just cannot stand to open.

A box with batteries. A radio. Music brings it all flooding back, doesn’t it?

Inside the word “batteries” hides “bat her eyes,” so I think these images are connected
    a woman whom you love(d).

Batteries also go inside flashlights.

In the dark, you see more clearly. People take out flashlights when they’re afraid. She must scare you.

“Gold was hidden. Moments so
    Fragile, like plates thrown into
    The air, suspended.
    People I wave at, smiling.
    I knew them once.”

I think this is all a metaphor, a hidden layer, covering the fact that the speaker was/is married … but the marriage has fallen apart. You knew her once, your wife, but you don’t know her any longer. Nor does she know you.

Not love, like.

“Like a football toss in a game. Looks” … “Like” becomes the game. “Like” is looking at you now.

“Memories trapped, sealed in a box I” … Great line break, implying that you are actually what is trapped in the box. Being that a woman’s sexuality is referred to as a box, maybe you’re lost inside hers, even though she’s now pushing you away.

“Hold under my arms on [dais] when-views” … You’re sitting alone, sulking, sad, wondering “when” … What? What is it that you hope for? What do you expect? Do you want her back? Do want it all over with? What happened to dissolve things, anyway? Did you destroy it, or did she? Is there anything you can do to fix it? Did you open other boxes that you shouldn’t have? Why have you lost her? So many questions other than just “when.”

“Held my memories in my hand,
    Squeezing them and squeezing them” … This makes me think of you holding your heart in your hand, offering it to someone, with pleasure and great expectation.

There are two lines that almost end in “when.” I see a change from “when I” to “when vie(w)s” … You were the center of her world, but not now. Now you are vying for her attention.

“I’m taken from jungles to dry moments when
    People waved, and I waved back.” … Yeah. You cheated on her. These are the other women. The ones who waved at you, and you waved back.

And truth be told, the first thing I thought of when I read your title was a vibrator. So now you’re doing all these other chicks, and your one true love is doing herself. 😛

Actually, now that I think about it, I think maybe the opening stanza is about you doing yourself too. 🙂 And on a bus, no less! How brave.

• Asia July 29, 2015 / 12:51 am

“sealed in a box sigh”

There’s that too.

• The Literary Doc July 29, 2015 / 7:30 pm

Wow! Thanks for your comments here. I really appreciate hearing your ideas on the piece.

7. Truedessa July 29, 2015 / 2:37 am

Hmm..those jungles can hold many memories..but, I also get a sense that some are lost..perhaps, moments gone that were so precious.

8. kanzensakura July 29, 2015 / 2:49 am

Excellent flow to this poem. The lines about fragile moments are outstanding.

9. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) July 29, 2015 / 10:04 am

Bitter-sweet, by the sound of it.

10. Sumana Roy July 29, 2015 / 3:38 pm

love the beautiful imagery all through..” Moments so / Fragile, like plates thrown into / The air, suspended.”…my favorite lines…

11. katiemiafrederick July 29, 2015 / 7:59 pm

Ah.. yes.. the connection.. value
    of human waves.. and for me
    a town once small is a soil
    fertile in soul of that..
    she grows bigger
    hands fall to
    side..
    i dance
    i grow LOVE
    wherever i go..
    a bigger wave is
    what i hope to be..
    than hands at side..
    no longer free.. the feet
    of me sing.. in shoes of AIR..:)

12. Shawna July 30, 2015 / 2:51 pm

“a gap where we see
    Time walked in parks”

I love this! So pretty.

And this:
    “The fading light of a distant day. Hollow” … Great line break, drawing out that hollow feeling that happens upon us so often.

“Fragile, like plates thrown into
    The air, suspended.” … This makes me think of tossing a glass plate and then shooting it “in two” or perhaps into a thousand shards. “The air suspended” … Feeling like you can’t breathe. Suffocating on seconds and centuries.

“Looks
    Before lights dim” … This line makes me think of enjoying our looks and youth before we get too old and ugly to do so. 😛

“and
    I’m taken from jungles to dry moments” … I think you really wanted to stay where it was wet and beautiful. But now you’ve been jerked back into present-day reality. So sad, and so lonely. All that waving is so fake. The masses of people around you are giddy to spend time with you, and you pretend that you want to be with them, that they make you happy. But really, you’re so very lonely and all you want in the world is to go back to the jungle. But the jungle scares you. It isn’t safe. So you choose the city, and it embraces with so much silly love.

Isn’t life a ridiculous charade? 🙂