Winter Ways

untitled Used with permission. Kanzensakura all rights reserved.

The way the snow fell we knew the trail would be covered. But we pressed on, past the meadows we’d once see full of life in autumn, now dead. Buried. Then, somewhere in the distance, a lone bird (I couldn’t place its name by its call) cried. Wanting food? Searching? We didn’t know, but we pressed on. I, at times, covered my eyes with my hands to save my sight.

Towards night, we entered the dark, somber wood, the trees speaking and whispering among themselves. Somewhere, again, a bird call, but this time farther away. Leaving us. I turned around and said, “Now it’s time to press on. The cabin is maybe another 20 minutes that way.” I pointed towards a pathless field of white. The trees still talking, creaking, and, somewhere, that bird again, calling. “Let’s go.” I moved forward and wiped the snow from my eyes.

Tall quiet trees stand
In winter white while a lone
Bird mourns through the leaves.

16 thoughts on “Winter Ways

1. Linda Kruschke January 11, 2016 / 11:44 pm

Perhaps the bird was trying to lead you to the pink blooms? Very nice take on the prompt. I like how you ended with the trek still in progress, with the cabin still 20 minutes away, instead of ending with the arrival. Peace, Linda

2. kanzensakura January 11, 2016 / 11:53 pm

Maybe the bird was leading you to the cabin. The haiku is lovely. Thank you.

3. Grace January 12, 2016 / 12:05 am

Pressing on, hearing the bird calling…I was with you on the journey ~ The haiku line of the bird mourning through the leaves, captured the haibun for me ~

Thanks for the sharing your lovely haibun ~

4. Mary January 12, 2016 / 2:39 am

Nice to have a bird show you the way, to have such a friend along the trail.

5. Bodhirose January 12, 2016 / 3:41 am

I’m glad you weren’t lost in the woods in the snow…at night! Perhaps that bird was watching out for you. A delightful story.

6. lynn__ January 12, 2016 / 4:12 am

Hope they made it to the cabin!

7. katiemiafrederick January 12, 2016 / 6:23 am

Bird of Life
    CoLors Bird..
    floWers LiFe…

sNowy pInk
    oasiS..
    no mirAge..:)

8. Carol J Forrester January 12, 2016 / 7:39 am

A great little haiku at the end. The repetition of the phrase ‘press on’ niggled at me slightly but it was an interesting piece with a great gloom about it.

9. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) January 12, 2016 / 9:20 am

This is most excellent… I get the same feeling as when reading “Stopping by woods…”

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

The bird is a great addition here, and I so much like how you focused on the silent sounds of the snowy woods… excellent haibun

10. writersdream9 January 12, 2016 / 12:49 pm

The bird was speaking the language of God to get you safely back. Thoroughly enjoyable!

11. petrujviljoen January 12, 2016 / 2:08 pm

What an atmosphere was created here. Snow, cold, mourning birds, trekking with no trail. But the clearly having been there before calmed one down. Well done!

12. Gay Reiser Cannon January 12, 2016 / 5:31 pm

This is quite good I think. It has a “western” feel. I know the Rockies in times like these. Even your haiku feels almost like an American sentence – the syllables are right, the change is there but the feel is vast, new, exploratory. Well done.

13. georgeplace2013 January 12, 2016 / 6:11 pm

It certainly, as Gay says, has a western feel. I’m am amazed at the courage and perseverance of the early settlers in the snowy northwest. I feel the pressure to “press on” here.

14. lillian January 12, 2016 / 7:59 pm

This is beautiful, mystical, magical. I love the questioning I’m left with. And the haiku is beautiful. The quiet of snow, the pressing on, the lone cry of the bird, wiping snow from my eyes…..I am really transported into your writing. Hence I find myself wiping the snow from my eyes in the end…Truly beautiful.
    That said, I hope you are not offended that I point out one spelling bit that probably was not caught even in the spell check “…meadows we’d once see full of life…” Think you mean “seen” here? Again, I just stumbled on this one word but was immediately transported back into the magic of your piece. It it were my piece, I’d hope someone would point out that one word.
    Truly truly one of the most beautiful here….

15. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) January 21, 2016 / 5:20 am

Ooh, that last line of the haiku sends the poetic shiver up my spine.