To Ingrid, En Route to Distant Lands

Ingrid, subtle,
Sly as I play
On old pianos with broken,
Frail strings. Singing
And playing.
Singing and

Playing songs of
Desert looks in markets of
Hot, humid winds. I see

Looks from pianos, smiles
From bars with slight
Hands held high. Dear…

Posted as part of Poets United Sunday Poetry Pantry

10 thoughts on “To Ingrid, En Route to Distant Lands

1. C.C. January 17, 2016 / 6:03 pm

“I send you away like postage in the night”—wow, that is such powerful wording!

2. Mary January 17, 2016 / 6:41 pm

I can hear the music in that old piano bar. Your poem has definitely set the stage, and there is more here than meets the eye!

3. Sherry Blue Sky January 17, 2016 / 6:54 pm

This is very nostalgic and poignant………I, too, especially love the postage in the night lines. Wonderful!

4. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) January 17, 2016 / 7:22 pm

Oh, Play it Sam, play it like you used to do.. play as times go by… At least it took me to Rick’s… I just rewatched Casablanca…. and that end.. the postage.

5. kanzensakura January 17, 2016 / 8:08 pm

And this also put me in mind of Casablanca – you must remember this – the writing of the letter washing away in the rain, and the last word…Dear…a salutation, a name for one loved…your line breaks are always flawless and your words always take us to someplace other than where we are – someplace exotic but always accessible through your words.

6. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) January 18, 2016 / 12:12 am

I love the mood, images, style, everything. Of course it’s Casablanca-inspired! And takes us beyond the final scene of the movie. Interesting that you say Ingrid rather than Elsa – ‘Audience member blending with protagonist?’ I wondered – then realised this must be a persona poem.

7. Truedessa January 18, 2016 / 1:27 am

What’s not to like here? You set quite the scene I can hear the piano…reminds me of that Elvis song “Return to Sender:” I guess it was that postage line. smiling of course as now I have that song stuck in my head.

8. thotpurge January 18, 2016 / 1:53 am

Very Casablanca.. I loved the line “Send you away like Postage in the night”…. fantastic!

9. Jae Rose January 18, 2016 / 1:44 pm

I love the sense of story in your poems..it’s so easy to picture the scene and landscape – for me it was some dusty outpost..where no one new comes in and the brave venture out