On the Road

I.

An odd sort of
Ecstasy, this
Feeling of being saturated
By thought, so absorbed
That the mind is a sponge
That leaks, and leaks.

Sudden it is an
Unpredictable onslaught
Of memories so rich that
They spoil the time taken
To mountain villages at
The dawn of a day when we
Hike up steep sides and
Must stop, for breath.

II.

A massage. A toss of
Leaves that blow in
The breeze of Autumn nights –
When windows are
Cracked to catch the
Sweet smell of decay before
The cool rains come.

A turn? A look? A
Distant hum that we hear
But cannot place. So,

III.

We follow…

Posted as part of Poets United Poetry Pantry

12 thoughts on “On the Road

1. Sanaa Rizvi January 24, 2016 / 6:09 pm

Absolutely love those closing lines.. such a powerful one.

2. Sherry Blue Sky January 24, 2016 / 6:52 pm

I love the description, and then the “We follow”….at the end.

3. Mama Zen January 24, 2016 / 7:06 pm

This has some splendid line breaks . . . like breaths held, then let go.

4. Mary January 24, 2016 / 7:10 pm

I like the sense of mystery in this poem, Matthew. The poem seems surreal with different images passing past my mind. And then the end leaves the reader wondering: Who, just who? And thinking about ‘we follow’ somehow the Pied Piper comes to mind…oddly, I am sure.

5. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) January 24, 2016 / 7:36 pm

Do we ever know were we will end? I liked the leaky sponges mind… I get a feeling of being led like sheep to slaughter… maybe we are just followers.. the close made it ominous to me.

6. kanzensakura January 24, 2016 / 8:28 pm

Like Bjorn, I like the leaky sponge image. but also the windows -Cracked to catch the
    Sweet smell of decay before
    The cool rains come.
    and the last words, We follow….that hum, the beckoning decay? Much mystery here in this poem. There is no doubt, we have to follow.

7. Donna@Living From Happiness January 24, 2016 / 9:01 pm

Another adventure….love the way you take us with you….the little clues and then we are left wanting to know more! Fabulous…’we will follow’ for sure.

8. Jamztoma January 25, 2016 / 1:29 am

Oh your thoughts made my brain leap with joy. I needed this. this is medicine for the brain.

9. dsnake1 January 25, 2016 / 12:44 pm

this sounds like a an interesting trip. Transylvania? 🙂

10. Jae Rose January 25, 2016 / 1:52 pm

Saturated by thoughts – yes..can relate..and sometimes what else can we do but follow – in the absence of a destination it is sometimes all we can do

11. Myrna January 25, 2016 / 3:45 pm

There’s a sweetness to this poem I really like. Nature certainly can bring on memories and scents which we gladly follow.