J. Humbert Riddle’s Mountain Dream

Reported to
A hiker who found him
One summer day.

… I seem to see time
In lakes, in a canoe where
We paddle in the very
Middle… in the very
Middle with oars made
From broken bits of
Hollow, silent trees

That fall in mysterious
Woods, with snow covering
The tips of dried trees set
Against blue skies. Yes,

You pointing towards slight
Streams that flow with
A flow with torrents
Of thunder that echoes across
Peaks in the distance.

Fog and rain. Fog and
Rain while

Oars plow through
Waters thick with trees cut
Down and seen somewhere

That drip and
Drip through
Fog.

Posted as Part of Poets United Sunday Pantry

13 thoughts on “J. Humbert Riddle’s Mountain Dream

1. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) January 31, 2016 / 6:18 pm

For same reason this took me to that lake up at Indian Peaks… the visuals where so consistent, that I could see the lake in front of me… and it seems Riddle has been wild in the wilderness for a while… I love to follow him..

2. Kerry O'Connor January 31, 2016 / 6:30 pm

Such interesting line breaks here. Your description of the lake is so vivid and emotive it puts me in mind of Wordsworth.

3. Truedessa January 31, 2016 / 6:54 pm

This reminded me of a dream I had on a mountain retreat. I paddled a canoe into the middle of the lake and the waters brought forth words of wisdom.

4. Sherry Blue Sky January 31, 2016 / 8:47 pm

Matthew, this is my fave Riddle poem yet, so lush with beautiful imagery that transported me straight to that mountain trail. I especially love the oars built from hollow trees.

5. Mary January 31, 2016 / 9:48 pm

I am beginning to feel I know Riddle a little bit after all these weeks. What a wonderful journey he has taken this time!

6. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) January 31, 2016 / 11:34 pm

Oh, yummy, yummy, yummy! I feast on your poetry. And it is so nice to catch a glimpse of the elusive Mr Riddle again.

7. Wendy Bourke February 1, 2016 / 1:13 am

You have built this piece so beautifully with wonderful, evocative images. I am there! Smiles.

8. thotpurge February 1, 2016 / 1:36 am

That whole sequence of images hangs against an untamed silence that is exquisite…

9. Jae Rose February 1, 2016 / 1:42 pm

Summer is a long time in coming when we are travelling alone and cold..i am glad he was found..that he could tell his story..in short breaths as he warms..tired..and travelled..i hope the sun shines on the next stage of his journey

10. Myrna February 1, 2016 / 6:38 pm

Beautiful, creative poem. I’m intrigued by the style which puts me in a dreamy place with water, trees. I imagine being lost then found. Fright then joy. Loved your poem.