Ode to the Outlaw

“Where have you gone my…”

Blessed be the outlaw the
Lone man lost, but
Found on mountains too
Wild, too free
To be tamed. This outlaw

This wild man wild
Like winds that blow
Through trees that cannot
Be found… somewhere, lost,
On the sides of distant
Peaks. This

Wanderer, this cowboy
Of plains and places
That cannot be found on
Any maps. Where the
Hawk sits. Where the stream falls
Down from snows that tumble
Down from skies which were dark once,
So long ago. This wanderer, this

Outlaw of songs that whisper
Through pines and that knock
On doors in mountain towns but
Once answered… once answered the

Door opens to aspen songs and
Freedom and winds that crest the
Hills and fall back to words sung once
So long ago… so long
Ago that I think of a man

Straightening a picture once and
Gazing back, gazing back with
Wild eyes of plains and mountains and
Nights spent by open fires beneath open
Stars that smelled of…

Rain of,
Such sublime, sweet,
Freedom?

Posted as part of Poets United Sunday Pantry

16 thoughts on “Ode to the Outlaw

1. Sherry Blue Sky February 7, 2016 / 6:06 pm

Oh, how I drank the beauty of this poem in, as the gorgeous images tumbled down the page………..one of your best, my fave so far. Just loved it.

2. Donna@Living From Happiness February 7, 2016 / 6:51 pm

Matthew this is fabulous….as I see that outlaw, that man longing once again for that freedom on that peak and the smell of aspen and rain….again lots to ponder here.

3. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) February 7, 2016 / 6:54 pm

Matthew, this is like every dream.. the true outlaw, the campfires the wonderful forests and a clear sky. My heart starts to beat faster from such a dream… Great one.

4. Mary February 7, 2016 / 6:56 pm

Ah, what a wonderful word picture of a man who is too wild to be tamed. I think he might be many people’s hero!

5. Sanaa Rizvi February 7, 2016 / 8:46 pm

I agree, the ones who are too wild to be tamed are a force to be reckoned with!

6. Jamztoma February 7, 2016 / 9:43 pm

You’ve taken me back to that period of time I kind of feel nostalgic about because we used to watch Clint Eastwood westerns and they were kind of fun. haha.

7. oldegg February 8, 2016 / 1:45 am

I think we are jealous of those that embrace freedom of the wild so easily. It is as though they still have that link with a primordial past that we can not grasp ourselves.

8. Truedessa February 8, 2016 / 2:18 am

Ah The outlaw who finds himself on a mountain
    once lost but, now found in nature’s land

The wandering spirit finds himself in wild songs…

just lovely….

9. thotpurge February 8, 2016 / 3:22 am

A wild spirit lost in the humdrum of life…. we do keep yearning for our better selves.

10. C.C. February 8, 2016 / 3:35 am

The ending is perfection.

11. Sumana Roy February 8, 2016 / 5:24 am

love this idyllic world where this wild man roams becoming a part of it…

12. roadside cinnamon February 8, 2016 / 5:35 am

You wield a deft hand at breaking and punctuating lines in order to precisely control the reading. I’m impressed.

“On doors in mountain towns but
    Once answered… once answered the

Door opens to aspen songs and
    Freedom”

I’m particularly fond of the above section.

13. Jae Rose February 8, 2016 / 12:51 pm

I can picture him so clearly..it is strange how wild, free and tamed are moveable and how perhaps we can get stuck in any one of those positions..perhaps true freedom is fluidity..taking to the hills when we need and adjusting our pictures when it is cold outside and we need shelter..expertly written as ever (there is a man i see walking here..I call him Birdman..he is gentle..tall..a white beard..and he hums and coos to himself..he walks in the rain and buys small amounts of food..i perceive him as free from the stillness on his face..your poem made me think of him too)

14. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) February 8, 2016 / 10:41 pm

Cunningly crafted, to lead us on until we feel at one with the narrator as each new image unfolds.

15. ZQ February 9, 2016 / 1:09 am

Cool! I often have to remind people the difference between an “outlaw” and a “criminal” 🙂