Dry Thoughts, Spoken Aloud

“I can think back on that time as a stay
As a pale thing that tightens and sits
In dark corners, but that comes to play
With us, us who complicate matters with wits
That cramp styles, that lurch in fits
To dances, to songs of long forgotten comedy:
Of ballets, of dancers, of she who flits
Across broken screens that showed us tragedy:
Of people and laughs and… an eye
A yellow eye that gazed out at smart
Scenes of ancient lawns that would cry
Like broken dreams and like the dark hearts
Of things that sit and moan –
That sit like a smooth, soft stone.”

20 thoughts on “Dry Thoughts, Spoken Aloud

1. Glenn Buttkus March 10, 2016 / 11:01 pm

Thoughts perhaps more fecund than dry, an interesting journey of the psyche; I like the lines
    /as a pale thing that tightens & sits/in dark corners/.

2. ShirleyB March 10, 2016 / 11:48 pm

A good and thoughtful use of the words. Well executed.

3. Candy March 10, 2016 / 11:50 pm

this seem to invoke many memories – I liked the line… us who complicate matters with wits/that cramp styles

4. Mary March 10, 2016 / 11:54 pm

Varied reflections combined well together….nice weaving of words.

5. Hannah Gosselin March 11, 2016 / 12:07 am

I love all of the dancing and the concept that this is spoken aloud…intriguing and full of depth for dry thoughts. 🙂

6. hypercryptical March 11, 2016 / 12:37 am

Aloud is good – adds so much to your words.
    Anna :o]

7. Grace March 11, 2016 / 1:03 am

I specially admire this part Matthew:

A yellow eye that gazed out at smart
    Scenes of ancient lawns that would cry

Well done with the prompt and good to see you at D’verse ~

8. Bodhirose March 11, 2016 / 1:33 am

Your second and third lines really grabbed my attention. The memories of that time appear as if in a dream state…images arising here and there. Thank you for joining in with the fun. Well, I hope it was fun. :~)
    Gayle ~

9. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) March 11, 2016 / 1:34 am

A haunting, evocative piece, strangely satisfying for all its subjectiveness and mystery.

10. Truedessa March 11, 2016 / 3:59 am

Some captivating lines but, these stand out for me

To dances, to songs of long forgotten comedy:
    Of ballets, of dancers, of she who flits

11. Victoria C. Slotto March 11, 2016 / 4:03 am

This makes me want to sit down and get to know the narrator…just this glimpse of her or his character is so compelling. The final 3 lines were so very poignant.

12. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) March 11, 2016 / 5:31 am

The contemplation here is so well done, a feeling of regrets, of plays lost and the error of using wits too much, well played.

13. kim881 March 11, 2016 / 8:28 am

I’m with Glenn. That line has a kick to it: ‘As a pale thing that tightens and sits
    In dark corners’.

14. petrujviljoen March 11, 2016 / 2:53 pm

A pallor created of innocence/spontaneity stifled or dismissed.

15. Walt Wojtanik March 11, 2016 / 9:56 pm

“smooth, soft stone”. I love the irony in the picture you’ve painted, Matthew. Evocative!

16. lillian March 12, 2016 / 1:01 pm

Well done……..Smooth as stone……love this ending.

17. radio head March 12, 2016 / 4:40 pm

I love this:
    “… as a stay
    As a pale thing that tightens and sits”

“To dances, to songs of long forgotten comedy” … I don’t know why, but this is the first of the prompt poems I’ve read that has led me to read “candy” instead of “comedy.”

“an eye
    A yellow eye that gazed out at smart” … This is another favorite section. Yellow eyes seem so creepy, and yet … animalistic, maybe? It could go either way, I think. They could be beautiful, or they could be sick. Her eyes, I mean.

“Like broken dreams and like the dark hearts
    Of things” … I really like the somewhat slant rhyme of “broken,” “dreams,” and “things.”

I used a smoothed stone to end my poem as well, but I doubt it’s possible anyone might intuit that, however smart they may be. I’m too intentionally convoluted in my writing.

18. radio head March 12, 2016 / 4:42 pm

Oh, and I thought it interesting that you called your spoken thoughts “dry” in the title. I can’t help but read that your unspoken thoughts might be wet. I love that such a contrast exists; I hadn’t considered these adjectives as applied to thoughts before, but of course it makes perfect sense that they would.

19. katiemiafrederick March 23, 2016 / 11:00 pm