Wild Horses, Spotted Once

Ancient forests, nestled
Up against bright, old
Pines. These

Horses these beasts that
Roam and wander roam
And crash through snow
Crests where an old trail
Once led to summits by
A cabin left abandoned –
The home now of the
Wind and weeds. Ah,

Horses spotted in the distance.
The only sign
Smells and hoof
Prints in dark earth. The

Whine on a winter morning when
Woods are covered in mist and
Somewhere out
There is an echo an
Eerie sense of calm as
Plumes of hot breath break
Up through blue, bright
Blue sky. Such

Freedom I
Think. Such…

18 thoughts on “Wild Horses, Spotted Once

1. lox March 20, 2016 / 5:02 pm

Oh my gosh. Spotted wild horses. That is the most gorgeous thing ever.

I’m trying not to comment-curse, but everything I want to say begins with an expletive.

I’ll keep it clean and just say, “I love your poem.”

2. scotthastiepoet March 20, 2016 / 5:08 pm

Agree with Sherry, you bring all this alive and keenly felt too… Freedom…Yes! Thanks for an affirming write…With Best Wishes Scott http://www.scotthastie.com

3. Kerry O'Connor March 20, 2016 / 6:07 pm

One of the favourite poems of my youth was Ted Hughes, The Horses. I could read it over and over and never tire of it. Your poem has had the same effect on me. Such majesty and timelessness in the images.

4. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) March 20, 2016 / 6:36 pm

This is like being inside something beautiful, serene. For me it’s like a film, that I still can smell.

5. Mary March 20, 2016 / 9:58 pm

Ah, I think freedom too! There is nothing more free than wild horses…. The connection between human and horse is really intense, I think. Definitely the ‘stuff’ of poetry!

6. Walt Wojtanik March 20, 2016 / 10:08 pm

The horses always provide such an inspired visual. Well done, Matthew.

7. ZQ March 20, 2016 / 10:08 pm

Well written and felt what you wanted me as a reader. Good work! 🙂

8. C.C. March 20, 2016 / 11:23 pm

Ah, yes, such freedom. Sigh. I agree 🙂

9. Snakypoet (Rosemary Nissen-Wade) March 21, 2016 / 6:43 am

Sorry, you’re never going to get thoughtful, intelligent comments from me, just repetitions of ‘Wow!’ and ‘Wonderful!’ This was a joy to read.

10. oldegg March 21, 2016 / 9:19 am

Mankind is at a disadvantage living in mainly urban groups when we don’t observe and experience life in wild and that a whole wide beautiful world exists without us but sadly
    is threatened by our intrusiveness and disrespect. This piece is beautifully written.

11. Jae Rose March 21, 2016 / 2:33 pm

I pictured wild horses in an early morning field..their coats steaming as the sun comes up and warms the moisture from their skin – yes..freedom indeed

12. dsnake1 March 21, 2016 / 3:43 pm

wow, such rich imagery!
    as if i am in the mountains watching those horses.

13. Truedessa March 21, 2016 / 9:00 pm

There is beauty in seeing wild horses…I went to see the wild horses on Assateague Island. They were breathtaking as I watch them in the water.