An Ode for Lost Things

Songs like winds that blow
Down from things lost below
Stairs… sifting and sifting. It

Is never enough. The doors

That slam shut on floors we
Once walked down. The whispers
Behind walls. The tap tap
Of quiet rain on misty window
Panes. I cannot think of these things

Without thoughts of drives along
Wet roads. The broken stair with
The one creaking board. That

Coin I dropped but cannot
Find. Pulling away dusty
Cupboards in pursuit.

Photos I never took. Marbles
That roll along cold floors. These

Like songs on distant hill-sides on
Windy, way-laid days.

Snaps in barren woods.
The creak of hinges beside
Cool mountain streams. These

Like a song, lost,
Somewhere in
The distance.

15 thoughts on “An Ode for Lost Things

1. Kerry O'Connor June 12, 2016 / 4:38 pm

Your eye for detail has picked out the most forlorn images and tied them to human emotion very effectively.

2. Björn Rudberg (brudberg) June 12, 2016 / 4:58 pm

Maybe it’s only when we sift through memories of things ignored we might know what reality can give… Maybe treasured things are lost in mulch… Maybe it’s the lost things that really counts,

3. Susan June 12, 2016 / 5:49 pm

This ode is sad and remarkable as a song that collects as it goes. You’ve found most of what I’ve lost and then some. Excuse me while I go write a lost poem.

4. Sherry Marr June 12, 2016 / 6:30 pm

I love all of the different images and sounds…..the marble rolling across the floor, the one creaking stair……a poem imbued with mood. So well done.

5. jae rose June 12, 2016 / 6:33 pm

Each image jars the senses – the loud echoes of an empty house and silent, shouting loneliness. for some reason it made me think of Prufrock – and my poetry knowledge is poor..it just did!

6. Mary June 12, 2016 / 6:35 pm

Each detail in this poem paints a vivid detail of the well constructed whole. The ending is a bit plaintive….

7. Sanaa Rizvi June 12, 2016 / 8:26 pm

Such a beautiful ode this is 😀 especially love “Like songs on distant hill-sides on windy, way-laid days.” Beautifully executed.

8. Donna@Living From Happiness June 12, 2016 / 9:03 pm

I feel a melancholy wind lowing through your words…wanting so to recover these lost things…for me it is old times with those long gone now!

9. Myrna June 12, 2016 / 10:31 pm

Loss is always sad. You paint a vivid picture with words and touch my emotions as I think of losses in my life.

10. thotpurge June 13, 2016 / 1:18 am

Beautiful..that image of a marble rolling on a cold floor just says it all…

11. Wendy Bourke June 13, 2016 / 1:25 am

This wonderful cascade of (rather small) things (in and of themselves) that don’t rest easy on the mind – expresses so much about loss. An inspired idea, awesomely articulated, in an evocation piece.

12. Sumana Roy June 13, 2016 / 3:38 am

when lost things are songs they build up memories with music…love the beautiful images sketched here…

13. Rosemary Nissen-Wade June 13, 2016 / 6:32 am

I like your wistful ode.

14. kaykuala (@hankkaykuala) June 13, 2016 / 4:41 pm

Like a song, lost,
    Somewhere in
    The distance.

Like the way you brought back memories of having missed opportunities which otherwise would have been treasured but were not. Many of us on reflection regretted for having let them passed just like that.

Hank