A Haibun For a Day, Once

Long ago, beneath frail summer trees, high up by the penetrating sun, we sat. Talking about anything, really. The lake. The joggers. The walkers. The people just strolling, almost aimlessly, along.

And then those long stretches of silence. Sleeping in the grass. In the deep shadows that roll out to long, stately and old, mansions. All with deep vines that twist and creep along, hiding I think something inside of them.

As the road forks off,
And the tall branches break off –
Falling as we sleep.

14 thoughts on “A Haibun For a Day, Once

1. whimsygizmo August 8, 2016 / 8:01 pm

I love the image of those breaking branches, especially.

2. kanzensakura August 8, 2016 / 8:03 pm

I am so glad you wrote to this prompt. I like this sleepy relaxed haibun. Falling asleep in the grass…such ideal napping and especially with one you love.

3. Grace August 8, 2016 / 9:51 pm

This has such a calming and relaxing effect on me. I think those long stretches of silence makes me fall to sleep too. Thanks for joining us Matthew.

4. Victoria Young August 8, 2016 / 10:34 pm

Really nice piece. Don’t you love the people you feel comfortable enough to be silent with? They’re pretty rare.

5. Victoria C. Slotto August 9, 2016 / 12:48 am

This is just so atmospheric, Matthew. An effective sense of place that gives flavor to the relationship. Love it!

6. rosemawrites August 9, 2016 / 3:44 am

there is something soothing about this poem. i guess there is love in between the lovely lines. 🙂 ❤

7. maria August 9, 2016 / 4:05 am

I need one of these moments too. 🙂

8. katiemiafrederick August 9, 2016 / 6:27 am

sMiLes.. i can’t hELp
    but to thInk of how i asked
    my somewhat Indian Princess
    of a wife to marry me.. in a casual
    convo at the Bowling Alley i worked at..
    me her and

Romancing
    liGht gRows
    after death.
    as
    LiFe..;)

9. Rosemary Nissen-Wade August 9, 2016 / 7:45 am

Lovely! I like the subtlety in the fragmentary treatment.

10. kim881 August 9, 2016 / 7:51 am

I agree with Rosemary about the subtlety. It’s a sign of being comfortable with each other, when you can go for ages in silence, not feeling you have to say something.

11. petrujviljoen August 9, 2016 / 7:56 am

You wrote of the danger within the beauty. Maybe a foretelling to what came later?

12. lynn__ August 9, 2016 / 5:56 pm

Yes, I interpret a subtle threat or menace to this casual relationship…the aimlessness, the twist/creep of vines and break of branches gives me pause.

13. Sherry Blue Sky August 9, 2016 / 8:40 pm

I love the tone in this, the branches breaking, “falling as we sleep”, which suggests a story to come.

14. Mish August 13, 2016 / 6:13 pm

A very peaceful scene. I detect something between these lines of love and solitude…perhaps a longing or something fading.