An Ode to the Blue

Observed Once In Silent Hills

You always see it, such an
Endless expanse of blue that
Goes on and on to quiet
Ridges by grasses that blow

Around old fences from a time
Long ago. Like a sadness

Almost, like such extremeness of
Depth that you must drive and
Drive off and away from it like

Wind rattling a door at night but
Then leaving nothing but
A tipped over pot of plants and

A pile of leaves and bark
In a corner. Yes,

It is always there, you always
See it and know that even on
Dark nights it is
There, waiting somewhere…

For you. This pale,
Opaque, translucent
Blue.

18 thoughts on “An Ode to the Blue

1. whimsygizmo August 9, 2016 / 8:32 pm

Goodness. That “Long ago. Like a sadness” sitting on its own line touches me so deeply. I love this take on blue. Beautiful, haunting, deep.

2. Dr. Crystal Howe August 9, 2016 / 8:44 pm

This one is a comfort. First I thought of a desert or a storm, and then the peace after or beyond it. Well done!

3. Victoria C. Slotto August 9, 2016 / 9:58 pm

For me, this brought to mind that one drive through the hills of Kentucky. You created an almost eerie landscape and I liked the use of the 2nd person.

4. Grace August 9, 2016 / 10:09 pm

A melancholic write, full of past remembrances. The ending is poignant, as though it waits patiently for someone. Love the line breaks Matthew.

5. Arcadia Maria August 9, 2016 / 11:54 pm

Very haunting indeed yet beautiful at the same time (at least to me).

6. Bodhirose August 10, 2016 / 2:56 am

I like your word placements as the slight hesitation in reading made the feel of the poem even more poignant and somehow melancholy. I love this perspective of the endless blue sky always being present even in the dark of night.

7. maria August 10, 2016 / 4:57 am

I love the rhythm and flow of your words. Beautifully haunting, indeed.

Liked by 1 person

8. Waltermarks August 10, 2016 / 3:25 pm

That sounds a little like an old blues refrain. GotS me do in the bluesy thing

9. kanzensakura August 10, 2016 / 8:09 pm

Just wonderful line breaks in this. You do them so very well. I think of being on the NC coast and looking across at the marsh grasses in their rich colors of deep green/blue shimmering. The ending – oh the ending to this beautiful piece! Like a flower being handed to someone as if afraid it will not be taken. Absolutely gorgeous poem and so very haunting.

10. ayala August 11, 2016 / 12:19 am

Long ago…like sadness..touched by this.

11. Walter J. Wojtanik August 11, 2016 / 3:18 pm

I feel escape in this. The right “prescription” for stressful day, Doc! 😏

12. Rosemary Nissen-Wade August 12, 2016 / 8:53 am

Ahhhh! Beautiful, and beautifully nostalgic. Haunting, even.

• Rosemary Nissen-Wade August 12, 2016 / 8:54 am

Oh, lol, I see I am far from the only reader to remark on that last quality!